Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Worth and Weight of Wisdom

As a twelve year old girl, I obviously am wise beyond my years. Sadly, I am not a twelve year old girl. It's true that I once was twelve years old, but that was quite some time ago. And I have never, to my knowledge, been a girl. I'm actually an old man. But I have been told more than once that I am wise. Being a wise old man, I naturally ignore such flattering praise, for the most part.
 Still, I'm positive I have more wisdom than two guys I just read about who calmly robbed a man in a wheelchair of his cell phone and all his money in a subway elevator for the handicapped. The guy has cerebral palsy, one leg, and three fingers on each hand. One of the robbers was named Demetrius, the other Tyrell, rather grandiose names for a pair of subway slugs. If they had a spark of wisdom, they might think, "Gosh, maybe I'm going down the wrong road!" But no.
 Anyway, the cops, who get used to seeing ordinary, petty thievery and mayhem on a daily basis, took this case to heart, and made an extra effort to catch the perpetrators. They flashed security cam photos of the crime and soon found one of the guys, who promptly turned in his partner. There is honor among thieves, but not among slime.
 Confucius said, "Wisdom is the comb that Nature gives men when they are bald". I don't think Confucius ever said anything that wasn't profound and quotable, worthy of the paper strip tucked in your fortune cookie. ( How they do that is beyond me ). The term "Common Sense" is a contradiction in terms, to say the least. "Common Decency" is also a head scratcher. Who comes up with these hilarious phrases? Here's another. " Prevailing Wisdom".
 Sense and decency are far from common, and history teaches us that wisdom has never prevailed.

No comments: