Saturday, December 07, 2013

Fleeting Fame

My readership has been growing by leaps and bounds, and now they have leaped out of bounds. If you're a blogger, you can check what country your readers come from, and how many times your blog is viewed. When my fan base began to grow exponentially, I figured it was time to see where they all came from. After all, you owe it to your rabid fans to at least acknowledge their existence. It's part of the heavy price we superstars pay for being in the galaxy that lesser folks can only observe in awestruck wonder.
 After making my inquiries, I discovered that I had readers in Germany. Since I don't speak or write in fluent German, this puzzled me. Then I found that a large percentage of my followers were from Malaysia. Way more than from Germany. Upon further research, I saw that these weren't even people who were reading my posts. They're computer systems with names like vampirestat and secretsearch
that drive up your hits on your blog for whatever their own purposes are. Don't click on them or they'll take over your life, eat your lunch, and beat up your best friend, and stuff like that.
 So, now I know what it feels like to be the girl that nobody dated in high school, who is asked to the Senior Prom by the handsome quarterback, goes out and buys a prom gown, and waits by the door as the hours slip by, until she finally realizes she was the victim of a cruel joke. What a jerk that quarterback was. She takes off the gown, throws it in the trash, and eats two quarts of fudge ripple ice cream.
 Luckily for me, I don't write for a readership. I write to exercise my mind, and because in some twisted way, I enjoy it. Everyone should try writing. Psychiatrists say it's a good way to express things that linger in the cobwebs of the dungeons in your mind. If you do try it, I can guarantee you will at least have a strong fan base in Malaysia.

No comments: