Monday, December 09, 2013

The End Of Times

I have news of particular import. The world is about to end. This distressing news was given to me by a couple of very nice ladies who knocked on my door last week. They were quick to reassure me that, although Earth will be consumed by fire and damnation, I should not be too alarmed. Even though our bodies will be destroyed, to say nothing of our automobiles, houses, and Beatles memorabilia, we will not really die! We will rise heavenward in our pre-destruction state after the Rapture. This is when all the good folks who have subscribed to their publications rejoin our old friend, Jesus, in the clouds.
 I envy people of faith. Not that I think they make any sense, but because they feel so secure in their mindset, secure in the knowledge that, if they only believe, their fondest wish will come true. They will never die. Not only that, but they will join all the loved ones they have lost, even their beloved pet turtle that they forgot to feed when they were kids.
 We are all travelers through time. Here in the twenty-first century, in the Information Age, in the Era where all accumulated knowledge is literally at our fingertips, we still believe what we want to believe. To hell with the facts! Don't get me wrong. I'm not an atheist, a mystic, or a wise man. I'm not even really that smart. I'm just clever enough to know what I don't know, and that some things are just not knowable.
 Here's a couple of free tips for you. Don't stand behind a flatulent camel. And don't listen to someone who tries to tell you they know the unknowable.

No comments: